Romance for Pregnant Women: Maternity Loving at its Best
Pregnancy. Some find it scary, some find it wonderful… some see it as a choice. In my case, the choice was clear. You could say I’ve been planning for my sojourn to motherhood for as long as I can remember. I promised myself that before I even think of getting pregnant, I would live the single life I have always dreamt of. What I didn’t anticipate, however, is how emotionally and psychologically tiring the transition would be from single girl to mom.
Romance becomes a priority for a pregnant woman because of the world of mood swings and hormones that comes with carrying a child inside you.
Q. Do pregnant women still want ‘it’?
A. Absolutely. When the craving for food starts, the ‘urge’ heightens.
The only thing is, most men won’t acquiesce to a pregnant woman’s requests. As someone I know told me “I don’t really care what your gynecologist says about trimesters and sex, it will never go down in history that I caused a miscarriage because I couldn’t control myself”. Fear of what could happen, rather than misinformation, causes a lot of men to dodge the open invitation to make love during pregnancy.
A Man’s Role in Romancing his Pregnant Partner
There are a lot of ways to tend to a girl’s emotional needs during pregnancy, and one of these is MASSAGE. While rubbing her back or her tired legs, tell her how beautiful she is (and do not use the word “still”!). When a woman knows her body is changing, she needs constant reassurance that she is still desirable. Here are some things that guys must know in relation to a pregnant woman’s emotional vulnerability during pregnancy.
- She knows that the melon-shaped ones have become papaya-shaped, and this disturbs her, whether she admits it or not.
- She can tell if you’re ‘looking’ at other women, and she will make you pay for it, one way or another.
- She has given up making her old clothes fit and has embraced the fact that she will be wearing those trendy maternity clothes for a long time.
- She appreciates the love you shower on your unborn child but she also craves affection directed at her.
How to Romance a Pregnant Woman
1. Shop for her – Your concern for her becomes obvious when you shop for maternity clothes with her. One good trick to make her feel good about her new body is to point out some clothes that will make her most outstanding assets come out. (View the Juicy Maternity Jeans and Paige Maternity Jeans by Bellydance)
2. Research ways to lessen (or at least lighten) stretch marks – Your initiative to buy her the coconut products that claim to lessen stretch marks will make you her hero! These are the first things that a woman notices on her skin during pregnancy.
3. Take her to a Baby Moon - A babymoon is a vacation that would-be parents take to relax and serenely prepare for the arrival of their child. This is a time to reflect on the wonders of parenthood and to remind each other of their love.
The Importance of a stress-free pregnancy becomes obvious after the birth. Some sources discussing Post Natal Depression in women indicate that PND is more likely to happen if a woman did not receive much emotional support during pregnancy.